Revised and posted on May 12, 2021
Vaccination numbers continue to rise, the positivity rate for COVID in Allegheny County is dropping, and the Pennsylvania Department of Health and the CDC have revised their restrictions and guidelines for senior care communities like JAA.
Resident visits are experiencing significant changes in protocol at Harriet & Jeannette Weinberg Terrace and The Residence at Weinberg Village.
Please follow these new policies and enjoy visits with your loved ones.
- Entering the Facility
- Outdoor Visitation
- Indoor Visitation
- In-Room Visitation
- Compassionate Care Visits
- Medical Outings
- Leisure Outings
- Visitation Times and Locations
ENTERING THE FACILITY:
- Visitors are to remain in their cars until they are notified that their visit is ready to begin.
- Visitors over 12 years of age should sign in at the kiosk. No visits are permitted to anyone unable to pass kiosk screening.
- Visitors who have been fully vaccinated are required to provide proof of vaccination when requesting a visit without the need for masking and social distancing at all times during the visit. This would occur only when visitors are in residents’ rooms/apartments. Visitors MUST wear a facemask when walking through the building.
- Unvaccinated visitors are provided with a surgical facemask upon arrival and are asked to replace their personal mask with the surgical facemask given to them.
OUTDOOR VISITATION: FOR VACCINATED AND UNVACCINATED RESIDENTS AND VISITORS:
- Weather permitting, visits may be scheduled and accommodated outside of the facility in designated areas.
- Outdoor visits must be scheduled. JAA activities staff members are responsible for confirming the number of visitors including children in order to accommodate visit with enough space for social distancing.
- JAA Maintenance Staff is responsible for placing and maintaining visible markers to indicate where chairs should be placed during outdoor visits in order to accommodate social distancing.
- Children should remain with their group during the duration of the visit. Unvaccinated children over two years old should wear masks at all times.
- In order to allow for proper social distancing at Weinberg Terrace, a limit of six (6) children is permitted for a scheduled outdoor visit. This accommodation requires a specific seating area. Therefore, visitors coming with six (6) children must schedule this in advance. During times of inclement weather, these visits will be rescheduled for an alternative time and/or date.
- In order to allow for proper social distancing at Weinberg Village, a limit of three (3) children are permitted for a scheduled outdoor visit. This accommodation requires a specific seating area. Therefore, visitors coming with three (3) children must schedule this in advance. During times of inclement weather, these visits will be rescheduled for an alternative time and/or date.
- If any member of the visiting party is unvaccinated, residents and visitors must wear well-fitting facemasks during outdoor visitation. For residents who cannot tolerate a facemask, a FACE SHIELD must be worn in place of a facemask during the visit.
- If residents and all visitors have been vaccinated, facemasks may be removed ONLY while sitting in the designated visitation space. If residents or visitors move away from the designated visitation space for any reason, facemasks must be worn at ALL times.
- If residents and visitors are all fully vaccinated, they may choose to have close contact and not wear masks, only while in the designated visitation space.
- If residents are fully vaccinated, they may choose to have close contact during outdoor visits, within six (6) feet of visitors who are unvaccinated, if both resident and visitors are wearing well-fitting facemasks.
- Unvaccinated residents must wear well-fitting facemasks and maintain social distance from visitors during outdoor visits.
- One pet is permitted for outdoor visits. Pets may not enter the building at any point during the visit.
- Outdoor visitation areas (tables, chairs) are disinfected after each visit.
- Food and drink is permitted during outdoor visits with the following stipulations:
- Unvaccinated visitors and residents remain a minimum of six feet apart while eating.
- For unvaccinated visitors or residents, facemasks are removed only while eating and drinking. Otherwise, masks MUST remain on at all other times.
- Both resident and visitors sanitize hands prior to eating.
- Drinks, food, utensils, and dishes may not be shared between residents and visitors.
- The meal must be concluded by the end of the scheduled visit, with consideration for the next group who may have a scheduled visit in that location.
INDOOR VISITATION: FOR VACCINATED AND UNVACCINATED VISITORS:
- Indoor visitation adheres to the following rules. NO EXCEPTIONS are permitted:
- All indoor visitations occur in the designated areas outlined by the facility staff.
- All indoor visitors are screened through the kiosk at the entry.
- Hand sanitizer is provided to visitors before entering designated areas.
- Unvaccinated visitors are provided surgical facemasks and must replace their personal masks with the masks provided.
- Residents and visitors must wear facemasks in common areas of the facility at all times. For Residents who cannot tolerate a facemask, a FACE SHIELD may be worn in place of a facemask during a visit.
- JAA activity staff may occasionally monitor visits. After each visit, the indoor visitation area is disinfected and cleaned by assigned staff.
- If the residents or any members of the visiting party are unvaccinated, residents and visitors must wear well-fitting facemasks during indoor visitation. For residents who cannot tolerate facemasks, FACE SHIELDS must be worn in place of a facemask during the visit.
- If residents and all visitors have been vaccinated, facemasks may be removed only while sitting in the designated indoor visitation space. If residents or visitors move away from the designated visitation space for any reason, facemasks must be worn.
- If residents and visitors are both fully vaccinated, they may choose to have close contact while not wearing masks, ONLY while in the designated visitation space.
- If residents are fully vaccinated, they may choose to have close contact during indoor visits, within six (6) feet of unvaccinated visitors, if both residents and visitors are wearing well-fitting facemasks.
- Unvaccinated residents must wear well-fitting facemasks and maintain social distance from visitors during indoor visits.
- Indoor visitation are limited to two (2) visitors at a time.
- No more than two (2) children are permitted to attend an indoor visit. Children over two years old must be able to wear a mask provided by the visitor, and must be able to adhere to the guidelines set forth for visitation including social distancing and food and drink guidelines.
- Indoor visitation must be scheduled. Please allow two days advanced notice for scheduling purposes. Visits are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis, subject to availability.
IN-ROOM VISITATION: FOR VACCINATED RESIDENTS AND VACCINATED VISITORS ONLY:
- In-room visits for vaccinated residents are only permitted for visitors who are able to provide documentation that they are fully vaccinated, meaning it has been greater than 14 days since they received the last dose in a series of COVID vaccines. The only exception to this is for compassionate care visits, which may be held in-room regardless of visitors’ or residents’ vaccination status; please see Compassionate Care Visits below.
- Vaccinated visitors MUST provide proof of vaccination in order to receive this less restrictive visitation option.
- There is a limit of two (2) visitors at a time for in-room visits
- No pets are permitted.
- Additionally, two (2) children are permitted for indoor visits. However, if children are unvaccinated, both the children and the resident must wear well-fitting facemasks at all times.
- In-room visits are held only at times designated by the facility.
- All in-room visitors are screened through the kiosk located in the front lobby.
- Hand sanitizer is provided to visitors before proceeding to resident room.
- Staff escorts visitors to resident rooms.
- Vaccinated visitors and residents are permitted to remove their masks and have close contact, only while in the resident’s room, never in common areas of the facility.
- Congregating outside of resident rooms and walking inside facility corridors are NOT permitted.
- Doors must remain closed during in-room visits.
- In-room visitation must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance, in order to plan travel routes and limit traffic in facility corridors.
- Staff may perform periodic checks on in-room visits. A “Visitation in Progress” sign is placed on the door during in-room visits to alert staff of rooms holding visits.
- Visitors MUST reapply facemasks prior to leaving, and exit the facility using the same route they used to enter the facility, signing out of the kiosk prior to leaving. No additional visits with other residents in the facility prior to leaving is permitted.
COMPASSIONATE CARE VISITS: FOR UNVACCINATED VISITORS:
- In-room compassionate care visits are permitted regardless of vaccination status. However, unvaccinated visitors are encouraged to be tested frequently for COVID, especially prior to upcoming visits with their loved ones.
- Unvaccinated, compassionate care visitors are given a surgical facemask upon arrival and are asked to replace their personal mask with the mask provided.
- Visitors must screen at the lobby kiosk and sanitize hands before going to the resident’s room.
- There is a limit of two (2) visitors at a time for in-room compassionate care visits
- No pets or unvaccinated children are permitted.
- Doors must remain closed during in-room compassionate care visits.
- Close contact is permitted with unvaccinated visitors if residents are fully vaccinated and both residents being visited and visitors wear facemasks.
- Limited close contact is permitted with unvaccinated residents receiving compassionate care visits from unvaccinated visitors if withholding physical contact would become a detriment to the compassionate care visit. Unvaccinated visitors providing compassionate close contact to an unvaccinated resident should wear a facemask and a face shield.
- Staff members perform periodic checks on compassionate care visits.
- Visitors must exit the facility using the same route they used to enter the facility, signing out of the kiosk prior to leaving.
MEDICAL OUTINGS: FOR VACCINATED AND UNVACCINATED RESIDENTS:
- For vaccinated residents, medical outings other than hospital stays and emergency room visits pose low risk because they take place in a controlled environment.
- All residents leaving the facility for medical appointments are to wear a well-fitting facemask.
- For unvaccinated residents, medical outings of any kind present a moderate risk. Therefore, residents should be included in JAA’s regular testing schedule for individuals who have left the facility.
LEISURE OUTINGS: FOR VACCINATED AND UNVACCINATED RESIDENTS:
- Vaccinated residents are permitted to participate in activities such as walking in the community and going out with family members.
- Residents should be educated about COVID transmission and safe practices prior to their outing.
- Outings with family members must be scheduled.
- Family members should have their temperature taken prior to taking residents out.
- Nursing staff members communicate with the family to share the nature of the outing.
- Education and recommendations about appropriate activities are provided to families. Low-risk and high-risk activities should be identified during the initial conversation, in addition to encouraging family members to be vaccinated and/or tested prior to taking loved ones for extended outings.
- Residents must sign out prior to leaving the facility. Nursing staff keeps track of residents leaving the facility for outings and residents are COVID tested on or around Day 5 after returning.
- Residents frequently leaving the facility are subject to weekly COVID testing.
- Nursing staff and the infection control manager reserve the right to institute isolation for any resident who participates in a high-risk activity while out of the building, including the following:
- Indoor gatherings of people from multiple households when masks are not worn for the entire event and the county positivity rate is greater than 10%.
- Concerts, sporting events, and weddings are considered on a case-by-case basis depending on the ability to social distance and use of masks by all attendees. These may result in a quarantine for residents.
VISITATION TIMES AND LOCATIONS BY COMMUNITY:
Weinberg Terrace: Mon – Fri, 10 AM – 4 PM in the Private Dining Room. Visits must be scheduled through Marcellina by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Please allow two days advance notice. Visits are 30 minutes each and are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis, depending on availability.
Weinberg Village: Mon – Fri, 3:30 PM – 5:30 PM in the Library on the first floor. Visits must be scheduled through Sandra Dojcak by contacting the Activities line at 412-586-3241 or emailing o Indoor/outdoor visits are 30 minutes each and are scheduled on a first-come, first-served basis, depending on availability. Emails and phone numbers are provided to families/friends for use in scheduling visits.